Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Last Resort - Hidden Canyoning

We have enough people to do Hidden Canyoning today! Bruno, McKenize, Giles and I are confirmed for a fun-filled morning of abseiling, jumping and sliding down steep canyon walls and waterfalls. Another person, Sangeeta, really wanted to join us for Canyoning but didn't have enough money, so Giles and I agreed to split her cost. Sangeeta works at the orphanage near Kathmandu and was an orphan herself. She couldn't believe it and had a big smile on her face all day. I'm chalking this up as my community volunteer program - allowing a person to experience things s/he could afford. Note - the cost was about 4200 Rupees...not much for a 'Westerner' but it's about a month's salary for a Napali.

Our final waterfall abseil (45m)
For 3-hours, we were like kids having fun in the water...holding on to the rope and sliding or bouncing off canyon walls and waterfalls. It didn't matter we sucked or we were like pros, everyone made it down all 7 walls/waterfalls and we were all smiles at the end. The last waterfall was a 45m drop, which sounded steep and scary, but we all abseiled like pros!




After lunch, everyone left for Kathmandu - Giles and his high school students from Singapore, Bruno and his wife, volunteers Liz, Mary and Sangeeta, and the Argentinian guys. In just 2 days, I got to share some amazing adventures with them which I'll cherish them forever. I'm the only one staying at the resort for few more days, but I hear a new group of guests are arriving later today or tomorrow morning.

Dinner was very quiet without everyone at the table and I miss hearing different languages - French, Spanish, English, and Nepali. Tonight it was just me at the table with two Nepali girls at the other end of the table. The other group (I think Indian) sat and ate dinner in the bar area.

I'm told I can join the group for High Ropes and Rafting tomorrow...I wonder if there's a t-shirt for completing all the resort's activities.

Side note - I noticed couple of leeches started to have quick "bite" on my feet when we got done Canyoning. Here's an early stage of a leech sucking on my foot. They are an amazing specimen, they can produce anti-coagulant so my blood won't clot right away. Even when they're removed (simple salt works well), I'll keep bleeding for sometime.
Before

After

The other foot

No comments:

Post a Comment