Friday, July 1, 2011

The Last Resort - Rafting

Today is my last day of adventure activities at The Resort, rafting down Bhote Kosi. I didn't think I would get a chance to raft in Nepal since it needs at least 6 people to raft, but we had 11 people rafting today! 6 Indian friends from Bangalore, 2 friends from Delhi and a South African couple from UAE...and me. This morning started out iffy with a light rain so I ended up not doing the high ropes (which was fine by me), but rest of the day turned out perfect with even some blue skies in the afternoon.

Rafting was a thrill where we started with mix of high rapids and easy rollers before lunch. After a short lunch break on the bank, it's back to the raft and more rowing (I was glad to give up my front position and sit in the back as my back was now killing me...getting too old for all this crazy adventure thrills!). The river was much calmer in the second half of the trip where we were able to have some fun in the water by flipping the raft, swimming downriver and taking a dip if we felt like it - I was not too keen on going into the river, since the water was very cold and I was enjoying the warm sun. As we were starting to gel as a group, we had arrived at our end point (some 20km from our launch point) and it was time to head back to the Resort.



In my raft, I got to become friendly with Cora and Gabriel, a South African couple currently working in UAE, where we started chatting about travel and the places we've been to and places we want to visit. We dined together and continued our travel stories, and ended the evening after several drinks. It seems South Africans like to drink...what a fun couple!

Oh after telling everyone how it's been raining every afternoon into evening the past few days (or at least since I've been here), it doesn't rain at all this afternoon and evening! It's still damp, but no rain...there's goes the whole monsoon excuse. It's nice to get a break from all the rain and have a dry night. I'll definitely sleep well tonight.

2 comments:

  1. A lot of catch up reading to do. Seems all the post loaded in at the same time.

    ReplyDelete