Sunday, August 21, 2011

To the Beach!

August 19 - 22 (Ho Chi Minh City - Danang - Hoi An)

I decided to meet up with Emma in Hoi An (instead of Ho Chi Minh City), so I can get to a beach and relax after the China fiasco. From what I briefly read about Hoi An, it was the perfect spot to chill for few days.

My flight to Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) landed at 1am and I had a connecting flight to Danang in few hours. This time I wasn't going to take the chance of looking for a hotel near the airport or go into HCMC for few hours of sleep, instead I headed to the airport lounge area for few hours of shut eyes. Let's just say I didn't get much sleeping done between the hard seats and the fear of someone stealing my bags..but I did save money!

Of course, the airport pick-up request I had made to the hotel in Hoi An didn't happen, so once again I'm in a country where I don't speak the language and had no clue about getting to Hoi An. Oh hell with traveling cheap, I went luxe and took a taxi to Hoi An (it had air-conditioning)!

Hoi An is a beautiful town by the South China Sea, about half way between Hanoi and HCMC, known for their tailors among other things. The town still has the charm of an old French colonial period with many historic buildings full of tailor shops, restaurants and gift shops. The food here was absolutely delicious and fresh, friendly people, and enough clothing and shoe tailors/shops to stay busy for days. I only had three days but I could have stayed here for weeks, if not for a month.

Wood carver working outside his shop

View of the river from the cafe

The Market

"excuse me...are you sisters?"

Ferry boat for bikes...and people too

I'm guessing...honeymooners

To the beach!

Seaside lunch for about 5 bucks!

Beautiful French Colonial architecture

Love all the bird cages upstairs

Window of a lantern shop






























































Emma and I learned about a hidden gem (Villa Hoa Su) just outside of town; unfortunately, Villa Hoa Su didn't have any availability until the 21st, the day we're scheduled to leave for HCMC. I was able to convince Emma that we should stay one more night in Hoi An so we could check out the luxurious Villa Hoa Su. Villa Hoa Su was simply magnificent, it had everything I wanted - beautiful room with comfortable bed, outdoor shower and a marble bathtub, infinity pool, and a 5-star hotel service at a 3-star price (they even prepared a dinner for us based on what we wanted)! I can't do justice in describing the Villa, just check out their site - villahoasu.com. One day at the Villa Hoa Su wasn't enough...I definitely need to come back and stay for a week or two!

































Location:Hoi An, Vietnam

No comments:

Post a Comment