Wednesday, August 10, 2011

H-O-R-S-E-ing Around

I decided (more like "declared") to make today a rest day and just chilled by the lake or around the ger camp in the morning. Tai and Erica still had plenty of energy and went for a short hike to explore the area. Basketball in Mongolia? It seems Mongolians like to play basketball, more than soccer (maybe because you can't play soccer during winter?). The ger camp had a basketball hoop (see previous photo - behind the golfer), so Tom, Verity and I 'H-O-R-S-E'-ed around before leaving for Moron in the afternoon.



Moron reminded me (or what I remembered) of Seoul when I was growing up, almost 40 years ago, with dirt roads, houses with corrugated metal roofs and busy street markets. I recall my house was on dirt road just outside of the city where my mom would take a bus into the city to meet her friends for lunch...today, the old neighborhood is now part of Seoul's affluent suburb because of its close proximity to downtown. I wonder if Mongolia will go through a rapid economic development similar to Korea, while retaining its history, culture and heritage.

Location:Khovsgol Nuur, Mongolia

No comments:

Post a Comment