Thursday, September 8, 2011

Time Warp to 1955 in Darwin

Traveling from Borneo to Darwin consisted of 3 flight changes on AirAsia (Sepilok (Borneo) - Kuala Lumpur - Bali -  Darwin) for 20+ hours, including four hours in Bali's airport where I had to pay for a Visa to 'enter' the country and then pay a departure fee 30 minutes later when I walked over to an outbound terminal.   Finally in Darwin, I have 24-hours to enjoy the city (and Holiday Inn's comfortable bed) before embarking on a 10-day tour throughout Australia's outback.

Darwin is the capital of Northern Territory, on the top end of Australia.  Although Darwin is considered a 'city', it has more of a small beach town feel...and time stopped in 1955.  Overall, it's a very laid-back city and perfect starting point to the wild Kimberley journey.

To celebrate my solo travel for 3 months, I decided to treat myself to a nice dinner at Hanuman Restaurant - a wonderful combination of Thai, Indian and Nonya cooking.  As much as I wanted to check out all the bars along Mitchell street, I needed to get some sleep since I didn’t get much sleep the night before and I have to be up early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment